Thursday, February 8, 2018

Public Humiliation...........

Hi Gang!

Batten down the hatches!  We're in for a snow storm tonight!!


Make sure you have food in the fridge, a snuggly blanket and a good show to watch or a good book to read and let it fall!


Anyhoo.....................

Today's thought path is about being humiliated publicly.  This has happened to me a couple of times (well, more than a couple, but I'll just give a couple vague examples here)......

One time, on FaceBook, I was criticized for a post I made.  The person chastising me was someone I thought was a friend.  While she thought she was correcting me about something that I didn't even say, she humiliated me about it on FB.  My phone started  ringing off the hook with other friends wondering what was going on.  As a result, I deleted the post and unfriended her.  I still speak to her, but I chose to use a healthy boundary and not allow her access to my FB page.

A previous blog of mine, "When To Mind Your Own Business", would have been a good read at that time.  

> Is this information for their physical protection?  No. I was in no danger
>  What are your motives for telling the person?  Attention

> Will this information cause unnecessary stress?  Yes it did


> Does the situation directly affect you?  No it didn't affect her at all

If she had a problem with my post, a personal phone call or text message to me would have been the more appropriate thing to do.  She could have addressed me and at the same time kept it personal.  

Another time was during a meeting.  I had said something that was totally innocent, but someone felt the need to ridicule me in front of our peers pointing out an error of something I said.  Mind you, as I've always told my children, it's not what you say, but how you say it.  This was a situation where you needed to be in my shoes at the time to realize the feeling.

You can say to someone 'Please pass the potatoes' in a calm and genuine voice.  It's well received and the person you're asking will be more than happy to pass them to you.  You can also say 'PASS THE POTATOES!'.  I cringe just reading that, so I apologize if that triggers anyone.  I know that sometimes it doesn't take much for me.  When asked in that manner, the person you're saying it to may either tell you off, not pass the potatoes or shrivel up into an emotional shell for protection.

Now, with all this being said, I know that we live in a culture of easily offended people.  Was I easily offended?  Probably.  
But there is a right way and a wrong way to handle each and every situation.

I feel that its just a matter of treating others with respect.  

If you've ever had a similar experience, you'll be able to relate.

Just remember to put yourself in the other person's shoes.  It will help guide you in how you treat others.

The Golden Rule:
"Do unto others as you'd have done unto you."

I pray that you're healthy, happy, safe and I pray that you have P.E.A.C.E. in your life.

Until we meet again my friends, stay warm & safe!

Love,
























No comments:

Post a Comment

White Coat Syndrome..........

  WHITE COAT SYNDROME.......... I'm guessing it's mostly just me, right?  Does anyone else get anxiety even days prior to a doctor a...